ch-scene - I wish WCPE would have a wider definition of classical

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: robshaw AT email.unc.edu (Robert Shaw)
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: I wish WCPE would have a wider definition of classical
  • Date: 28 Jan 2004 14:48:22 -0800

As some recall, a bunch of us had a large discussion on the
"definition of classical" problem a few years back. Just last week, I
thought, well let's see if WCPE would go with a listener's request for
Saturday evening request to open up the set just a tiny bit. Nothing
too outlandish... I suggested Appalachia Waltz for string trio by Mark
O'Connor. Clearly a formal composition, very well liked, played by
formally trained musicians, two of which have an impeccable classical
pedigree (Yo Yo Ma and Edgar Meyer). It was about the safest genre
extension I could think of. Well, it did not make it to the set list.
A brief email noting the omission was not replied to by whoever
receives those emails. I just called there and received the reply that
it was probably not scheduled because it is not in the classical
format.

Unfortunate and depressing. This should not be a big problem for them,
unless they are completely focused on their older listening crowd and
do not care about developing a younger listenership. Oddly enough, I
cannot see how many older listeners even would complain. I have
contributed several times to WCPE over the years, though I am not sure
if I did so last time around. If anyone has any comments on this
problem, I'd be interested in reading anyone's remarks.

  • I wish WCPE would have a wider definition of classical, Robert Shaw, 01/28/2004