ch-scene - Re: Why do you own all those records

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: bendy <bendy AT example.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Why do you own all those records
  • Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2004 10:00:36 -0500

Jamie McLendon wrote of the Puppets of Meat:

. Then I saw them in concert about 12 years
ago, on the tour for that first record they did for London. I was
working music retail and had a comp ticket. I was completely
unprepared for what I saw. It was an outstanding, completely rocking
show.

Yeah, live they were completely different from their records. They were wild. Which is strange, because SST bands were so barely produced, they tended to sound similar live and in the studio. The time I saw MP (around Out My Way) things started clean and Dead-like, and gradually got louder and faster and crazier, and at the end when he was soloing and kicked in an echo effect for the first time all night, and it sounded huge.

Therefore, I picked up the lps mentioned above whenever I came
across them. My best friend told me that one incredible song we saw
them do was off of Mirage, and today was the first time I've listened
to the album (got it recently from a friend), hoping to relive that
sonic revelry from years past but, damn, it just ain't happening.

Yep, that's an especially boring one. But then, most of the Dead's records are boring too.

My
friend must've been wrong or something. In any event, I recall really
enjoying songs off of Meat Puppets II,

Cobain didn't overstock- I think that's the only one he owned. I wonder how the Meat Puppets felt when they were invited to play on the Nirvana Unplugged show, and they only did songs from the second album.