ch-scene - Re: Why do you own all those records (was: Re: Les Paul over IP)

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: bendy <bendy AT example.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Why do you own all those records (was: Re: Les Paul over IP)
  • Date: Sun, 04 Jan 2004 10:02:36 -0500

paok wrote:

dead milkmen is the band that i owned but not sure why.

Yeah, this is what I'm talking about. Someone on this list must have the complete works of Dread Zepplin. Or two of their records.

Also, this applies to artists you _want_ to like, but they just never gel for you, no matter how much you listen. I've got way more Zappa records, for instance, especially the 80s records. He satisfied a type of alienation I was feeling, before I found punk rock, and in the early 80s, the great Mother's of Invention records were impossible to find (unless you ordered a $200 box set directly from him). But those 80s records go a bit heavy on the marimba sounds, even when the satire is intact. Zappa still feels like a cool uncle to me, but I don't visit much. And I kept consuming Pete Townshend product well past it's 1979 expiration date. And I wish I had the first couple of Roxy Music albums, not the last couple.

Pete's not a child molester anymore, right?

On the other hand, X didn't really click for me until about six years ago, and now they're one my favorite bands. So all those early listens paid off.

Bendy