ch-scene - Why do you own all those records (was: Re: Les Paul over IP)

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: bendy <bendy AT example.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Why do you own all those records (was: Re: Les Paul over IP)
  • Date: Fri, 02 Jan 2004 09:05:39 -0500

You know, upon hearing the news about Cris Kirkwood, I recalled the
article that Todd just linked to, and just assumed this was the end of
his suicide in progress.

I own most of the Meat Puppets catalog, and I can't exactly explain it.
I'm rarely in the mood to listen to them, and while they're great and
all, and they put one one of the best shows I ever saw, I'm not a huge
fan and never sought them out when they gigged nearby. Curt's singing is
just so grating, it gets in the way of the songcraft. I like "Too High
to Die" 'cause it does such a great job of covering up his off key
scorched voice. I was in my easily-impressed youth as SST was peaking,
which explains some of it. But they were never close to being my
favorites. I mean, they really are hippies. I guess stuff kept turning
up used and cheap.

What artists have you overstocked?

Bill K wrote:
>>Oh yeah, Cris Krikwood from the Meat Puppets is dead.
>

> I think not. He was arrested Tuesday afternoon after being released
> from the hospital.

-- ch-scene: the mailing list that mirrors a.m.c-h --
http://webmail8.isis.unc.edu:81/read/?forum=ch-scene