ccafrica - Re: [ccAfrica] CC Coverage of Africa

ccafrica AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Jurisdiction Teams in Sub-Saharan Africa

  • From: Tobias Schonwetter <tobias AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: CC Africa mailing list <ccafrica AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [ccAfrica] CC Coverage of Africa
  • Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2012 13:03:34 -0700

Dear Aminou:

thanks for this question.  Andrew answered your question from the angle of representation of Africa at CC HQ and Alex addressed the issue of not having a lot of African activities displayed on the CC website. I would like to add another layer to the discussion: The fact that Africa has at this point in time only a comparatively low number of countries with active CC teams.

This is obviously something that Alex and I are thinking very hard about, and if anybody has ideas as to how to sustainably grow CC in Africa, please let us know. Focussing on some of the priority areas/activities we identified in Uganda earlier this year will certainly help and we have some additional ideas as well, such as improving collaborations between countries in certain regions in Africa and creating a ccAfrica website. All this is included in the draft strategy paper Alex already mentioned. At the end of the day, however, we also believe that such growth is something that we as CC community members in Africa should be primarily responsible for; not CC HQ. We all need to constantly spread the word about CC, talk to our government contacts, reach out to grassroots stakeholders and so forth; and in doing so we ensure that word about what we are doing travels far and wide - hopefully across borders even.

CC HQ and we as Regional Coordinators for Africa will provide support wherever we can. We would love to see African affiliates and community members to step forward with ideas for outreach events and suchlike. Remember the Libre/Uhuru Bus idea we discussed in Uganda? It would be great if someone came to us and indicated the willingness to spearheading something like this - and we would take it from there and organise it together. CC HQ is also working on a number of guidelines/ toolkits etc that are hopefully going to help in our outreach activities. There is a small budget for direct financial support of activities/ events /printing - so please approach us; and we can also help you when applying for funding elsewhere (which should always be the first port of call).

Alex and I will in the next weeks, certainly before the end of the year, get in touch with all of you and discuss needs, questions, wish lists etc. Because it is your input that will guide all our activities.

Best,

Tobias
---
Dr. Tobias Schonwetter