cc-uk - Re: [Cc-uk] Good Idea, Bad Implementation

  • From: rob AT robmyers.org
  • To: cc-uk AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-uk] Good Idea, Bad Implementation
  • Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 11:02:40 +0000

BY-SA cannot be upgraded to allow cross-licensing with the FDL.

The reason for this is that current BY-SA licensed work (under 2.0 or 2.5) can
be upgraded to any future BY-SA license. But current licensors have not given
CC-US permission to cross-license their work. So CC-US cannot produce a new
BY-SA that current BY-SA work can be upgraded to that claims to allow
cross-licensing to a non-CC licence.

My concern is that we will see a repeat of the 2.5 rush. I emailed CC-US at
the
start of the week to explain the problem and to ask them to publicly confirm
that they will not be attempting to produce such a licence. They have not done
so.

I am therefore looking for advice on how to procede.

Thanks.

- Rob.