cc-uk - Re: [Cc-uk] Good Idea, Bad Implementation

  • From: Tom Chance <tom AT acrewoods.net>
  • To: cc-uk AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-uk] Good Idea, Bad Implementation
  • Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 11:58:27 +0000

Ahoy,

On Friday 18 Nov 2005 11:08, rob AT robmyers.org wrote:
> CC-US want to defragment the commons. Which is good.
>
> But to do this they want to make your BY-SA work relicensable as FDL,
> invariant sections and all:

Is it the 'invariant sections' clause of the FDL that makes this a problem
for
you, or some other legal technicality?

> Although CC-US are phrasing this as a defragmentation measure it is
> interesting that it makes CC-BY-SA content usable by Wikipedia but not the
> other way round. This will be the second wiki-compliance measure CC-US have
> sought to introduce in 2005.

They mention in their blog entry on this [1] that they "will be working with
as many representatives from the free culture movement as we can to build
this federation of free licenses". If they managed to get the GNU FDL changed
to state compatibility, would that be better?

Just trying to think through how I might respond to this, and what we should
be aiming for on the long run. I'm certainly very concerned about license
incompatibility... copyright is complicated enough for ordinary people as it
is, without lots of incompatible licenses!

Regards,
Tom

--
I'm aware that e-mails to me may be blocked by my host
because they are mistaken as spam. If this happens,