cc-uk - Re: [Cc-uk] Re: Cc-uk Digest, Vol 11, Issue 4

  • From: David Harris <cc-uk AT ukitlaw.com>
  • To: cc-uk AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-uk] Re: Cc-uk Digest, Vol 11, Issue 4
  • Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2004 01:04:28 +0000

> Then again, I suspect that not many IP lawyers (unlike me) have released
> software under the GPL and therefore understand the dynamic of open
> licensing from the other side of the fence.
You aren't the only one I too have released GPL software, though too poor to
admit to publicly.

>As an aside, it's interesting how little respect lawyers have for IP rights
>themselves. Most law firms have a "precedent bank" of documents which they
>they are carried from one law firm from another as lawyers move; as lawyers
>come across documents prepared by lawyers on the other side, they will tweak
>them and incorporate them into their precedent;
I have to own up to this. Often though I do it just to give myself a drafting
kickstart. This is so widely done though it will never change and I do think
its useful, if I come across an issue I've never dealt with before a nicked
precedent can be invaluable in avoiding making a total tit of oneself before
a client or colleagues. Perhaps we need CC precedents?