cc-uk - [Cc-uk] Remix Reading legal advice

  • From: <lnu01eg AT reading.ac.uk>
  • To: cc-uk AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Cc-uk] Remix Reading legal advice
  • Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 19:07:22 +0100

Dear CC-UK list,

I'm emailing you on behalf of the Remix Reading project. We are
about 80% ready – we are currently finishing up the text and eagerly
awaiting the CC-UK license to come out. We were hoping that you
would be able to answer a few legal questions that we have in the
mean time.

1)We are not sure if we should be using the CC-UK licenses or the US
(or generic) CC licenses for work uploaded onto the web site. This
is because all work will be hosted on ibiblio which is based in
America. Most work will be uploaded from Reading, UK, and it seems
silly to be using the US licenses, however we will if it is
necessary.

2)Who is liable if a user uploads a piece of coyrighted work (which
isnt his own copyright) and puts it under a creative commons license
on Remix Reading? e.g. If someone uploads a Michael Jackson track
and claims it to be their own under a CC license. Please bear in
mind that ibibilo are hosting the website in America. What would
happen if a record company approached us and said that there was
some of their copyrighted material on our website?

3)In the future we are planning on pressing CDs of music uploaded
onto Remix Reading. What would happen if a record company approached
us and said that one or more of the tracks that were on a cd were
infringing on their copyright?

4)In the future we are also planning on having gigs/art exhibitions
etc with work uploaded on Remix Reading. We will have to charge
people entrance fees for the gigs etc to at least cover our costs
for hiring the venue and publicity (Potentially, if we make any
money, we could also put it back into the Remix Reading project).
For us to do this, do we have to insist that people allow their work
to be used for commercial use if we want to perform it? I can
imagine trying to secure the rights to a work that is based on ten
levels of remixes to be a huge headache. Or will it be okay for us
to display/perform works which are under a non-commercial license as
long as the profits are only used to cover our costs? Or maybe we
could distribute any profits made to all the artists involved?

5)Adult and offensive material – we dont think there will be a
problem with adult material being uploaded onto the website – but it
could potentially happen. Should we be providing disclaimers for
adult material, and how would we decide where to draw the line? What
should we be doing about the potentiality of illegal adult material
like child pornography being uploaded onto the site?

Thanks for any help that you give us. In the future, before the
website is put up on the net, we would be appreciative if you could
read through it and give any suggestions/criticisms.

We would also like to put the answers in the FAQ of the website – if
you object to that please say.

Thanks again and if you have any questions please don't hesitate to
ask,

Edward Griffith-Jones
Remix Reading