cc-uk - Re: [Cc-uk] CC-UK license draft v.3.0 (rfc)

  • From: Rob Myers <robmyers AT mac.com>
  • To: cc-uk AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-uk] CC-UK license draft v.3.0 (rfc)
  • Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 11:46:59 +0100

On Tuesday, September 21, 2004, at 04:07PM, Christian Ahlert
<christian.ahlert AT internet-institute.oxford.ac.uk> wrote:

>One question: am I right, that if I download content licensed under these
>terms, when I am phyically in Spain, Italy or wherever there is more
>sunshine than in the UK,
>UK law will apply? My rationale is that many users of the license might ask
>the same
>question, so perhaps it might make sense to make this clearer?

IANAL, IANCC (I am not a lawyer, I am not Creative Commons).

My understanding is that it's standard to specify the jurisdiction for a
license. If doing so isn't possible wherever the user of a license happens to
be then the license has another clause that makes it clear that only that
particular term is invalid, not the rest of the license.

Also the term of the license that allows you to use another CC license would
allow you to use the local CC license for Spain, Italy or Finland that has
the same terms as the UK CC license instead. (Is that right?) .

- Rob.