cc-uk - Re: [Cc-uk] CC-UK license draft v.3.0 (rfc)

  • From: Cory Doctorow <doctorow AT craphound.com>
  • To: Prodromos Tsiavos <prodromos.tsiavos AT socio-legal-studies.oxford.ac.uk>
  • Cc: cc-uk AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-uk] CC-UK license draft v.3.0 (rfc)
  • Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 13:39:16 +0100

Hey, Podromos! Thanks for sending this out, and for all the work it represents. It is a substantial and heartening advance on the previous version. I have three reservations, though; two minor and one major:

Minor:

* The use of "owner" instead of "rightsholder." Even WIPO prefers the latter to the former; the word "owner" implies that IP is not a metaphor for property, but property itself, and I have only heard the term "owner" applied by maximalists in reference to themselves in an effort to cloud the issue; I usually bust in and say, "owner? Look, I *own* my house, which means that it doesn't enter the public domain 70 years after I die; I *hold rights to* my books, because they *do* enter the public domain after I die."

* I'm not clear on what "sublicensing the work" means in this context, nor why a user would not be allowed to do so

Major:

The issue of Moral Rights raised in this and the previous draft invites disaster for CCUK. I will never license one of my works under a license that allows me to revoke it later on the grounds that I have been "defamed" -- and I believe that anyone who *does* take or grant a license under these terms is courting disaster.

The spirit and practice of CC is CERTAINTY, the certain knowledge that you MAY do x, y and z, and that you may rely upon your ability to do x, y and z not changing. If we include moral rights in this license, we remove all certainty from the process. Anyone who takes a license under these terms can never be sure that her art will be allowed to circulate and be enjoyed because at any time, the original author may capriciously enjoin her from publication. We are asking people to build a library on a foundation made of shifting sand and straw, and it will be a terrible thing if we allow this to pass.

At very least, I believe we should make NO MENTION of moral rights. An author may or may not choose to assert moral rights, but we're not endorsing such a thing, at least.

At best, we should require licensees to WAIVE moral rights, as is standard in every UK publishing contract I've ever signed. The reason it is standard is that moral rights allow authors to capriciously destroy collective works in which their creations form a small piece, from magazines to collages.

I know we've talked about this before in private -- I hope that you can see your way clear to removing the moral rights clauses from the license (or better still, replacing them with waivers of same).

I've made more small edits in redline -- see attachment.

Thanks again,

Cory