cc-nz - Re: [Cc-nz] Nethui Creative Commons Meetup

cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion

  • From: Richard White <richard.white AT otago.ac.nz>
  • To: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion <cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-nz] Nethui Creative Commons Meetup
  • Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2012 21:30:09 +0000

Hi all – I’m interested in the issue raised the other day about copying email content.  It is a tricky one, and probably requires input from someone who understands the potential privacy issues better than I do.  But I think there are a few options:

  1. For the committed, put CC-BY (or licence of choice) in your signature so that people understand what they can do with the content at all times. This runs the risk of forgetting you do this when put something private in an email, since it is still a restricted, private means of correspondence (though I acknowledge posting to a list is a bit different).  I note, with interest, that Fabiana has labelled all her tweets with CC (just BY maybe?? Can’t recall off-hand).
  2. Actively label things with a licence when appropriate (as Matt might have done with his email about the CC meetup). This requires you to remember to do this!
  3. For situations like Matt's email about the meetup, my feeling is that better practice would be to do what has eventually happened in this case: put something on a public space (like the CC web page or the Nethui programme), label it with your CC licence, then you're just copying the source in your email and everyone else sees the licence.

Anyway, those are my thoughts.  I would hesitate to argue fair dealing for copying, as Danyl did, because that is so problematic and because of possible privacy issues.  As Danyl then suggested, better to label such content properly in the first place.  So, in the current example, I wouldn't label my email here CC because this is me providing opinion to this list and not necessarily something I would post more publicly, at least not in such a rambling form.  But I agree that where appropriate we should take more care to label what we put out there when we really intend it to be spread around.

Richard

Richard White | Subject Matter Expert, Student Management System Project & University Copyright Officer
Darwin House | 61 Clyde Street | University of Otago | Dunedin | New Zealand
Te Whare o Darwin | 61 Clyde Street | Te Whare Wānanga o Otago | Ōtepoti | Aotearoa