cc-nz - Re: [Cc-nz] Nethui Creative Commons Meetup

cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion

  • From: Danyl Strype <strypey AT disintermedia.net.nz>
  • To: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion <cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-nz] Nethui Creative Commons Meetup
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2012 12:57:22 +1200

Kia ora koutou

Thanks for your suggestions Richard. A few comments.

On 11 June 2012 09:30, Richard White <richard.white AT otago.ac.nz> wrote:
>> For the committed, put CC-BY (or licence of choice) in your signature so
>> that people understand what they can do with the content at all times. <<

This might work where people have an email address which is only used
for making public statements (press releases, emails to public email
lists etc). In any other case it's probably a bad idea, for the
privacy reasons you gave.

>> I note, with interest, that Fabiana has labelled all her tweets with CC <<

Great! I now have a Twitter account, which repeats the notes I post to
my Identi.ca account. Fabiana, how did you go about attaching the CC
license?

>> For situations like Matt's email about the meetup, my feeling is that
>> better practice would be to... put something on a public space (like the
>> CC web page or the Nethui programme), label it with your CC licence, then
>> you're just copying the source in your email and everyone else sees the
>> licence. <<

I agree. Since it makes sense to put announcements about public events
in a publicly visible place(s), it makes sense to include a link to
that place in any emails about the event.

>> I would hesitate to argue fair dealing for copying, as Danyl did, because
>> that is so problematic and because of
possible privacy issues. <<

In the absence of qualified legal advice, it pays to be cautious, but
it also pays to use common sense. There is just no reason Matt would
want to impose ARR copyright on his email, since it was clearly
intended to promote a public event. I don't know if that makes copying
it 'fair dealing' in a legal sense, but it's obviously 'fair' in a
moral sense.

>> I wouldn't label my email here CC because this is me providing opinion to
>> this list and not necessarily something I would post more publicly, at
>> least not in such a rambling form. <<

I don't want to scare anyone off posting here, but it should be noted
that this email list is a public forum, and its archives are publicly
available, and visible to search engines.
https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/cc-nz/

>> But I agree that where appropriate we should take more care to label what
>> we put out there when we really intend it to be spread around. <<

Agreed. Look forward to catching up in person sometime, now that we're
based in the same town :)

Hei kōnā
Strypey

--
Danyl Strype
Community Developer

"freedom is participation in power.”
- Cicero

"Uncomfortable alliances are not just necessary; they reflect and
speak to the tremendous possibility of our political moment."
- Harmony Goldberg and Joshua Kahn Russell
http://www.nationofchange.org/new-radical-alliances-new-era-1337004193

"Allowing the university to be turned into the tool of business is
allowing it to be corrupted."
- Richard Stallman
http://www.oss-watch.ac.uk/resources/Stallman.xml