cc-nz - [Cc-nz] Lawrence Lessig's visit (was: Are you using a CC-NZ license?? was RE: nz ccmarker)

cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion

  • From: "strypey AT riseup.net" <strypey AT riseup.net>
  • To: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion <cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Cc-nz] Lawrence Lessig's visit (was: Are you using a CC-NZ license?? was RE: nz ccmarker)
  • Date: Thu, 08 May 2008 00:35:30 +1200

Kia ora koutou

The IT people would be familiar with Lessig due to his connection with the
Free
Software Foundation, and the GNU General Public Licence, under which the Linux
kernel and many other key components of Linux operating systems are licensed.
His visit would be an excellent opportunity to liaise with open source geeks
about the techy side of CC, content tagging, storage, sharing etc

At the risk of waxing political, I have to say I suspect the hesitation of the
heritage and knowledge institutions towards CC ANZ is a result of having to
defend themselves against the push to privatize public knowledge.
Privatization
and partial privatization (public/private partnerships) have been rebranded
and
resurrected in so many different forms over the past 20 years or so, that I
can
understand any reform proposal being treated with suspicion. Because CC is a
non-governmental initiative, with its roots in the US, it may be seen as a
front
for a neo-liberal agenda.

Fair enough too. Many of the people involved in free software are
libertarians,
in the Ayn Rand sense of the word. Many of the people involved in open source
are enthusiastic players in the corporate world - big companies like IBM and
Novell now hire people to program on the Linux kernel. CC was conceived by
Lessig as a way to apply the principles behind free software and the GNU GPL
other forms of creativity.

Perhaps we need to emphasize that CC licensing is *not* about the transfer of
knowledge from the public domain into the intellectual property vaults of
corporations. In fact it's not about the transfer of knowledge at all.
Because a
CC license builds on traditional copyright, ownership remains with the license
holder, be that an individual, a company, or a public institution
(governmental
or not).

Rather, a CC license is about the opening of access. If a piece of writing is
public property, then I - as a member of the public - have the right to access
it. CC provides a legal and IT infrastructure for codifying and communicating
that right of access. As progress is made in the digitization of public
knowledge, CC is a tool that public institutions can use to help the public
understand who is the owner of the digital content, and what rights of public
access and use relate to it.

Along these lines, another concern may be related to the commercial
exploitation
of public knowledge, without actually privatizing its ownership (the public/
private path). This is why the non-commercial option is available as a
licensing
option.

I believe these two issues (privatization of knowledge, and commercial
exploitation of knowledge) are also the key issues that will need to be
addressed in the development of the indigenous knowledge CC licenses that have
been proposed.

RnB
Strypey