cc-nz - [Cc-nz] CC NZ update

cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion

  • From: "Brian Opie" <Brian.Opie AT vuw.ac.nz>
  • To: <cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: kenneth.strongman AT canterbury.ac.nz
  • Subject: [Cc-nz] CC NZ update
  • Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 15:12:13 +1200

Kia ora list members

This update has four sections, the fourth of which asks for a response:

1. Progress: There is real progress, but it is taking more time than
anticipated. We now have a Legal Team: Paul Sumpter, Andrew Matangi and Susy
Frankel. Paul and Andrew are working on the drafting of the generic licences,
and Susy has agreed to lead the process of discussion and inquiry into the
need for an indigenous CC licence. The latter process will start at the
Launch. The date for the Launch is yet to be determined, and depends on the
completion of the legal work.

There are three aspects to this work, which have led to unavoidable delays:

The first is a decision by the team to adopt the UK-England version as the
model, because of the much greater affinity between English and NZ IP law,
than between Australia and NZ. This has meant opening a discussion with the
UK - England legal team, who have been very supportive.

The second is the matter of annotations. CCi needs not only the generic
licences in a form consistent with NZ law, but it needs a clear statement of
the ways in which the licences (which still reflect Amemrcian practice and
terminology) relate to the provisions of NZ law. This was a potentially
larger job than the redrafting itself. The current plan is to adapt the
UK-England document when it is completed.

The third is an accident of timing. CCi has promulgated version3 of the
generic licences, and member countries are currently revising their licences
in relation to the changes in v3. Our team decided that it would not be a
good use of (volunteered) time to complete the drafting of the present
licences only then to have to redraft to bring them up to date. It has been
agreed with UK -England that we will be able to make use of their revisions,
which are planned for circulation in draft form in the next fortnight.

2. RE: [Cc-nz] public domain dedications
The process we are involved in works as follows: We produce draft versions of
the licences, which are approved by CCi. When they are approved, they are
ported to the CCi site where they can be accessed through CC-Aotearoa NZ on
the CCi site. The licences do not sit on the CC-Aotearoa NZ website, but will
be able to be accessed through a link from this site as well. In other words,
CCi maintains control over the licences.

Is this a sufficient clarification?

3. CC-Aotearoa NZ website.
The first stage of the website design is almost complete.

4. Community Partnership Fund application
We were pleased that the Expression of Interest was accepted and we were
invited to complete a comprehensive application for the building of an
interactive site.

It would be very useful to have some indications from list members of what
you think is the likely user take up of the licences. If you have an
individual plan (as say Paul Murrell has indicated) a brief account of that
would be excellent. If you think that there are specific groups of people for
whom the licences will make an important contribution to their work, it would
be good to know about that. Emails with your full name (and any
organisational conenction if relevant) would be quite adequate.

I would appreciate receiving this information by Monday 16 April. Thanks in
advance.

Brian Opie

> Dr Brian Opie
Executive Director