cc-nz - Re: [Cc-nz] CC NZ update

cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion

  • From: Paul Murrell <p.murrell AT auckland.ac.nz>
  • To: "Creative Commons Aotearoa (NZ)" <cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: kenneth.strongman AT canterbury.ac.nz
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-nz] CC NZ update
  • Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2007 11:19:04 +1200

Hi

Brian Opie wrote:
> Kia ora list members
>
> This update has four sections, the fourth of which asks for a
> response:
>
> 1. Progress: There is real progress, but it is taking more time than
> anticipated. We now have a Legal Team: Paul Sumpter, Andrew Matangi
> and Susy Frankel. Paul and Andrew are working on the drafting of the
> generic licences, and Susy has agreed to lead the process of
> discussion and inquiry into the need for an indigenous CC licence.
> The latter process will start at the Launch. The date for the Launch
> is yet to be determined, and depends on the completion of the legal
> work.
>
> There are three aspects to this work, which have led to unavoidable
> delays:
>
> The first is a decision by the team to adopt the UK-England version
> as the model, because of the much greater affinity between English
> and NZ IP law, than between Australia and NZ. This has meant opening
> a discussion with the UK - England legal team, who have been very
> supportive.
>
> The second is the matter of annotations. CCi needs not only the
> generic licences in a form consistent with NZ law, but it needs a
> clear statement of the ways in which the licences (which still
> reflect Amemrcian practice and terminology) relate to the provisions
> of NZ law. This was a potentially larger job than the redrafting
> itself. The current plan is to adapt the UK-England document when it
> is completed.
>
> The third is an accident of timing. CCi has promulgated version3 of
> the generic licences, and member countries are currently revising
> their licences in relation to the changes in v3. Our team decided
> that it would not be a good use of (volunteered) time to complete the
> drafting of the present licences only then to have to redraft to
> bring them up to date. It has been agreed with UK -England that we
> will be able to make use of their revisions, which are planned for
> circulation in draft form in the next fortnight.
>
> 2. RE: [Cc-nz] public domain dedications The process we are involved
> in works as follows: We produce draft versions of the licences, which
> are approved by CCi. When they are approved, they are ported to the
> CCi site where they can be accessed through CC-Aotearoa NZ on the CCi
> site. The licences do not sit on the CC-Aotearoa NZ website, but will
> be able to be accessed through a link from this site as well. In
> other words, CCi maintains control over the licences.
>
> Is this a sufficient clarification?

Not for me unfortunately, but that may be my fault :)

I am referring to the CC Public Domain Dedication licence
(http://creativecommons.org/license/publicdomain-2?lang=en). If I
understand it correctly, with that licence, CC maintain a database of
some sort as "evidence" that the work is in the public domain. In that
respect, it looks like this licence is a bit different from the other
ones because CC not only host the licence itself, but also a record of
the works under that licence. I'm not sure whether a NZ version would
require a NZ database for works in the "NZ public domain", if such a
thing exists. Maybe I need a clarification of the term "public domain"
as well(?)

> 3. CC-Aotearoa NZ website. The first stage of the website design is
> almost complete.
>
> 4. Community Partnership Fund application We were pleased that the
> Expression of Interest was accepted and we were invited to complete a
> comprehensive application for the building of an interactive site.
>
> It would be very useful to have some indications from list members of
> what you think is the likely user take up of the licences. If you
> have an individual plan (as say Paul Murrell has indicated) a brief
> account of that would be excellent. If you think that there are
> specific groups of people for whom the licences will make an
> important contribution to their work, it would be good to know about
> that. Emails with your full name (and any organisational conenction
> if relevant) would be quite adequate.

It seems to me that the CC licences are a nice fit for academic work (as
long as the parent institution does not claim to hold the copyright) so
I would expect some uptake amongst academics. It is also really easy
for academics to try these licences out because we get paid a salary
anyway. Sorry, I have no feel for the uptake amongst musicians,
artists, etc (basically, anyone who would need to be brave to try out a
CC licence).

Paul

> I would appreciate receiving this information by Monday 16 April.
> Thanks in advance.
>

> Brian Opie
>
>> Dr Brian Opie
> Executive Director
>> Te Whainga Aronui The Council for the Humanities P O Box 10-693
>> Wellington
>>
>> telephone [w] +64 4 472 9488 or +64 4 463 6812 [h] +64 4 971 6016
>> fax +64 4 463 5148 email brian.opie AT humanities.org.nz
>> web http://www.humanities.org.nz hrn
>> http://www.humanitiesresearch.net

Dr Paul Murrell
Department of Statistics