cc-nz - Re: [Cc-nz] NZ CC Licence approach

cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion

  • From: "Winston Roberts" <winston.roberts AT natlib.govt.nz>
  • Cc: Austin AT law.arizona.edu, cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-nz] NZ CC Licence approach
  • Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2006 12:47:03 +1300

Hi,

Thanks for this Ian.

I see there are no amendments to paragraphs 5 and 6, although it seems to me
they need some adaptation too:

- for the legal issues ... (Richard and Graeme can advise..)
- for the national adaptation (surely the sentence in para 5 beginning " Some
jurisdictions....." is part of the US text and should be amended for the NZ
licence??)
- and spelling: "mechantibility" should be "merchantability" according to the
OED we use in Nz,

cheers

Winston

Winston D. Roberts
Information Strategist
Policy & Strategic Development Unit
National Library of New Zealand /
Te Puna Mätauranga o Aotearoa
Wellington, New Zealand
tel +(64-4) 474-3143 (direct line)
fax +(64-4) 474-3007
email: winston.roberts AT natlib.govt.nz

>>> "Ian Thomson" <ithomson AT lycos.com> 05/10/2006 23:31 >>>
Sorry for any double posting, but I am not sure of how many of the people at
the Wellington CC meeting have joined the CC list serve.

We have arrived at a suggestion for generating the New Zealand version of the
Creative Commons Licence

NZ CC Licence approach

Basically we could use the straight international CC Lisense without any
legal problem. Aus had to make a lot of changes due to mandatory requirements
in many industries, but this is not a problem for us.
In general, we suggest that our approach would be to
1. Change all references and examples to NZ specific ones, thus removing the
USA look and feel
2. Make only essential changes due to unique NZ legal requirements (expected
to be very few)
3. Provide an example CC Attribution Lisense marked up with Track Changes to
demonstrate the approach
4. Explain our proposed approach and distribute the example for comment to as
many concerned people as possible.
5. Review feedback and publish final lisense

This seems to be a simple and do-able way forward within out self imposed
time frame, eg a draft lisense for presentation by Brian's meeting in
Auckland in early Oct and the final lisense for the one day workshop on Mon
4th Dec.

In a seperate, but related exercise, we agreed it would be good to develop a
draft Cultural Commons Lisense. This will be a bit harder, but NZ is very
advanced in this area and it would be good to contribute our thinking back
into the CC domain

This to be looked at in more detail after we get the NZ CC launched.

I have attached the marked up Attribution Licence as per above.

We would appreciate any/all comments on the approch and the documents.
Please feel free to cirulate this to other interested parties as our approach
is as open and inclusive as possible.

Looking forward to hearung back from you, but please hit the Reply to All
button so we can share.

Note, the Humanities Concill will be meeting ths Friday in Auckland and 1
hour is devoted to discussion of the NC CC status and issues.

Ian Thomson
Phone 027 449 0081