cc-nz - [Cc-nz] NZ CC Licence approach

cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion

  • From: "Ian Thomson" <ithomson AT lycos.com>
  • Cc: Austin AT law.arizona.edu, cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Cc-nz] NZ CC Licence approach
  • Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2006 06:31:54 -0400 (EDT)

Sorry for any double posting, but I am not sure of how many of the people at the Wellington CC meeting have joined the CC list serve.

We have arrived at a suggestion for generating the New Zealand version of the Creative Commons Licence

NZ CC Licence approach

Basically we could use the straight international CC Lisense without any legal problem. Aus had to make a lot of changes due to mandatory requirements in many industries, but this is not a problem for us.
In general, we suggest that our approach would be to
1. Change all references and examples to NZ specific ones, thus removing the USA look and feel
2. Make only essential changes due to unique NZ legal requirements (expected to be very few)
3. Provide an example CC Attribution Lisense marked up with Track Changes to demonstrate the approach
4. Explain our proposed approach and distribute the example for comment to as many concerned people as possible.
5. Review feedback and publish final lisense

This seems to be a simple and do-able way forward within out self imposed time frame, eg a draft lisense for presentation by Brian's meeting in Auckland in early Oct and the final lisense for the one day workshop on Mon 4th Dec.

In a seperate, but related exercise, we agreed it would be good to develop a draft Cultural Commons Lisense. This will be a bit harder, but NZ is very advanced in this area and it would be good to contribute our thinking back into the CC domain

This to be looked at in more detail after we get the NZ CC launched.

I have attached the marked up Attribution Licence as per above.

We would appreciate any/all comments on the approch and the documents.
Please feel free to cirulate this to other interested parties as our approach is as open and inclusive as possible.

Looking forward to hearung back from you, but please hit the Reply to All button so we can share.

Note, the Humanities Concill will be meeting ths Friday in Auckland and 1 hour is devoted to discussion of the NC CC status and issues.

Ian Thomson
Phone 027 449 0081