cc-nz - Re: [Cc-nz] NZ CC License approach

cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion

  • From: "Graeme W. Austin" <austin AT law.arizona.edu>
  • Cc: cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-nz] NZ CC License approach
  • Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2006 09:13:37 -0700

Dear Ian:

Thanks for copying me in on this material about the Creative Commons License (CCL).  I have a couple of thoughts:

Before going further with this project, it is, I think, very important to be thinking about the CCL from the position of authors as well as users

The CCL may be very useful for academic writers, who, in many contexts, don’t necessarily want or expect to be paid (or paid much) for their authorship.  Academics have their authorship habits subsidized by their employers; they are, however, often very interested in having their work more liberally disseminated with appropriate attribution. Hence the CCL will likely work very well for them.  From that perspective, the CCL may be a very useful innovation.

For people who try to make their living from authorship, however, it may be helpful to consider whether you should have a section describing the implications that the CCL might have for those who choose it over more traditional licences. The history of copyright law provides many examples of licensing systems and schemes operating unfairly for individual authors.  It would be unfortunate if the CCL, however well motivated, did the same thing.  Given the significant implications for authors of signing on to a CCL, it would be helpful if you did your best to ensure that authors appreciate more fully the implications of losing both control over the work and important means for compensation.

The Association Littéraire et Artistique Internationale recently published a very good short paper exploring some of the implications of the CCL for individual authors.  See 29 Colum. J.L. & Arts 261 (2006).  Drawing on that paper, I’d suggest you consider whether you should including some or all of the following points  – in user-friendly language –  in a “FAQ” section (while disclaiming any and all obligations for legal advice, etc.):

1.                  Make explicit the limitation on (indeed, exclusion of) remuneration – so that no author is taken by surprise.

2.                  Explain that the CCL is inconsistent with the subsequent granting of exclusive licences – again, so no author is taken by surprise.

3.                  Explain the implications for authors of signing on to a perpetual licence (excluding revocation other than by breach by the licensee) (cl. 7).  If an author changes her mind, she can stop distributing the work, or choose to distribute subsequent copies with TPMs; however, the copies released under the CCL will likely continute to circulate, stripping the author of the economic value of the work, should she have a change of heart.

4.                  The CCL promises authors some very important rights: attribution, inclusion of copyright information, obligations not to attach TPMs downstream (which may be very important for authors concerned about the free availability of information), etc.  However, it might be useful for authors if you made clear that CCL will not offer them help to enforce the obligations of users under the CCL, should those obligations be breached.

There may be other points, not mentioned here, that may also be relevant.  The CCL can be a very helpful innovation; that said, it is important that the good things it can achieve are not tainted by the sense that it has operated unfairly, or that there was insufficient disclosure of some of its possible implications for authors.  Given that one of the purposes of the CCL is to achieve freer dissemination of information, accompanying the CCL with more information about its implications is unlikely to be objectionable.

Once again, thanks for copying me in on this. Best wishes for your endeavours:

Graeme

Graeme W. Austin
J. Byron McCormick Professor of Law
Rogers College of Law, University of Arizona
1201 E. Speedway, Tucson
AZ 85721-0176
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
Tel; 1 520 6263135