cc-nz - Re: [Cc-nz] CreativeCommons.org.nz portal

cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion

  • From: Sam Stephens <sam AT postmoderncore.com>
  • To: "Creative Commons Aotearoa (NZ)" <cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-nz] CreativeCommons.org.nz portal
  • Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 14:47:52 +1200

Danyl Strype wrote:
* software - there are a number of options here. The simplest is just to put together a set of static html pages (maybe with CSS for styles). However if we want to have a range of people with limited tech skills updating and adding to the site we will probably want to use some kind of Content Management System (CMS) like Drupal, PHP-Nuke, CMSimple etc Choice of software depends a lot on...

* features - what do we want on the site? what do we want it to do? do we want blogs? a wiki? integration with VideoBomb/ DemocracyPlayer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democracy_%28video_platform%29)?

I think that the website should be open for any suitable participant. Technological knowledge shouldn't be a barrier of entry. So I don't like static pages, unless it was designed with really good CSS so that altering the page was dead easy. (I think CSS is vital for modern web design, these days).

Maybe if you had css so, for example, you could make a new news entry with

for example.

But I don't think this is the way forward. I think it's fitting with the whole CC philosophy to build on top of the hard work of others. Meaning either a CMS, or a blog/wiki setup.

I reckon a blog and a wiki would be an ideal beginning. Blog for news, and Wiki for discussion. Then as things grow, add more sophisticated offerings such as VideoBomb (which looks awesome, by the way), if and when the demand is there. Or a fully blown CMS.

Django is worth looking at in this kinda area.
http://www2.jeffcroft.com/2006/may/02/django-non-programmers/

The thing that would be a shame, is if someone put in a lot of effort building sophisticated features, that no one actually ended up using. Based on traffic on this list, the CCNZ community is currently reasonably small. Having said that, a good website that will help inform and excite creative New Zealanders is definitely a good thing.