cc-nz - Re: [Cc-nz] Report back from 'CreativeCommoNZ' informal steering meeting

cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion

  • From: Robin Sheat <robin AT kallisti.net.nz>
  • To: "Creative Commons Aotearoa (NZ)" <cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-nz] Report back from 'CreativeCommoNZ' informal steering meeting
  • Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 22:55:38 +1200

On Thursday 10 August 2006 21:30, Danyl Strype wrote:
> would be enforcable under NZ contract law ie by using your licensed
> material people implicitly agree to the terms of the license and if
Just a point of pedantry, when dealing with legal things, I like to keep all
terms square :) Using a copyrighted work doesn't involve copyright at all[0].
You don't have to agree to a CC license, or any other copyright-based
license, to use something. You can read the book all you want, the copyright
holder cannot stop you. To copy, make derivative works, etc., only then must
they follow the terms.

I also don't think it's covered by contract law, it's specifically covered by
copyright law (although it does seem to behave like a contract). However, I'm
no lawyer, and I don't even play one on TV :)

Glad to hear the meeting went well, it's sounding like a good start!

[0] there has been debate (in the US at least, 15-20 odd years ago IIRC) on
this to do with software: does copying something into RAM comprise a possible
violation? I think that some places have 'copying as an essential part of
use' not being in potential violation of copyright. I don't know where New
Zealand stands on this issue.

--
Robin <robin AT kallisti.net.nz> JabberID: <eythian AT jabber.kallisti.net.nz>

Hostes alienigeni me abduxerunt. Qui annus est?

PGP Key 0xA99CEB6D = 5957 6D23 8B16 EFAB FEF8 7175 14D3 6485 A99C EB6D