cc-nz - Re: [Cc-nz] Report back from 'CreativeCommoNZ' informal steering meeting

cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion

  • From: Danyl Strype <strypey AT riseup.net>
  • To: cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-nz] Report back from 'CreativeCommoNZ' informal steering meeting
  • Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 21:30:57 +1200

Kia ora Sam

If the licenses are just about specifying what you want to happen and relying on people's honesty then it doesn't matter. In fact Richard Nivens echoed other legal opinions I've sought that the US CC licenses would be enforcable under NZ contract law ie by using your licensed material people implicitly agree to the terms of the license and if they breach them they have broken a contract. Although I suspect it will be a quicker, easier and cheaper to get the NZ courts to enforce your CC licenses if it's well-integrated with the specifics of NZ law, especially copyright law.

Anyway to me the main point of the localisation is to promote the understanding and use of CC licenses in Aotearoa, to take unique local concerns like those of tangata whenua into account and to provide a focus for the evolution of an open content community of artists, writers, programmers. In theory I could have proposed a local version of the Libre Society (http://www.libresociety.org/) instead but people in Aotearoa have already started picking up on CC. It is more flexible and like the free software/ open source licenses (GPL/ BSD etc) has teeth to prevent the commons we are trying to create from being claimed as property by the Intellectual Property enclosement.

For more thoughts on these issues have a look at: http://strypey.orcon.net.nz/wipeout.html

RnB
Strypes

Quoting Sam Stephens <sam AT postmoderncore.com>:

Great to hear this good stuff happening...

I'm interested though, why do we need specific NZ licenses? I've got my
stuff under generic CC licenses right now? What additional protection
would I gain under an NZ CC license?

--
"Without love a beating heart is just a clock ticking."
- quoted in the movie 'Equilibrium'

mobile: 021 11 77 578
Community Webspace: http://www.enzyme.org.nz/
Artist Rights: http://www.creativecommons.org/

Thunderbird instead of Outlook Express. Windows on a PC
block viruses like windows on a house block sunlight ;)