cc-nz - [Cc-nz] Report back from 'CreativeCommoNZ' informal steering meeting

cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion

  • From: Danyl Strype <strypey AT riseup.net>
  • To: cc-nz-owner AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Cc-nz] Report back from 'CreativeCommoNZ' informal steering meeting
  • Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2006 17:51:32 +1200

Kia ora Koutou

Thursday's CreativeCommoNZ meeting at the National Library was really positive. Although it was convened by Ian Thompson of the 2020 Trust, it was the at the National Library because they are committed as part of the draft digital content strategy to investigate the feasibility of setting up a Creative Commons for Aotearoa. Stuart Cunningham of QUT in Brisbane who is involved in the OZ CC was in Poneke to launch a discussion paper on 'creative economies' he's had published so the meeting was timed to coincide with his visit.

There were about 20 people there representing a number of civil society organisations and government departments and a few independents like myself. I made it clear to the meeting that I was not formally representing anyone but myself but that my interest related to the fact that a number of infomedia projects I'm involved with including Aotearoa.Indymedia.org and Aotearoa Information Radio (air.enzyme.org.nz) hope to incorporate the NZ licenses into their infostructure. However since I was the only person at the meeting from the informal group that has been aggregating on the cc-nz list I attempted to sum up what we've done so far and encouraged them all to join the list.

Stuart, along with one of his colleagues joining in by speaker phone gave us as basic refresher on CC, how it works and how the OZ project has worked out so far. Richard Niven, a lawyer, ran through the legal issues around NZ copyright law and the licenses. Paul Reynolds (who along with Ian and Winston represented NZ at the World Summit on the Information Society) ably facilitated the final discussion about how to bring CC NZ from concept to reality.

The consensus of the meeting was that we should aim for an official launch in November. Richard said that he would network with the Victoria uni law faculty on getting draft translations ready. Dr Brian Opie said the Council of Humanities may be able to act as the institutional home for iCommons purposes. Colin Jackson said Internet Society might also. Someone needs to contact the iCommons folks about exactly what they are looking for in a potential 'project lead/ institution'.

I basically said that our main focus on cc-nz has been the creation of the creativecommons.org.nz portal. I mentioned that a number of us are technicians and web developers and expressed confidence that once the license translation and project lead/ institution issues are sorted out we could have a 0.1 version of the portal up and running pretty quickly.

I brought up the fact that except for one person from Auckland (and Stuart) we were all Poneke-based and that it would be good to have more meetings around the country. Winston Roberts of the Nat Library mentioned that there would be consultation meetings around the country for the digital strategy and that CC NZ would be discussed. However I would like to see more face-to-face meetings focussed just on CC as well. The consensus was definitely that in future all meetings/ processes used to organise CC NZ should be as open, inclusive and welcoming as possible.

Ian T asked me to apologise for not being more encouraging to some of you who expressed interest in the last few days in coming to the meeting. I have to say though that it was a small meeting room and very full as it was so I do understand his desire to keep the numbers under control. Apologies also from me for not reading and responding to Ian's invitation sooner which would have given you more time to contact him and arrange to be included.

Full minutes of the meeting will be available and I'll make sure they are posted to the list. Thanks to Ian and his co-facilitators, the National Library for their hospitality and to everyone who participated for making it such a fantastic, lively, friendly and productive meeting.

RnB
Strypes

--
"Without love a beating heart is just a clock ticking."
- quoted in the movie 'Equilibrium'

mobile: 021 11 77 578
Community Webspace: http://www.enzyme.org.nz/
Artist Rights: http://www.creativecommons.org/

Thunderbird instead of Outlook Express. Windows on a PC
block viruses like windows on a house block sunlight ;)