cc-metadata - Re: [cc-metadata] Extending CC Meta-Data

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: Brian Erdelyi <brian_erdelyi AT yahoo.com>
  • To: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work <cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-metadata] Extending CC Meta-Data
  • Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2006 04:57:40 -0800 (PST)

Thanks for the W3 reference, I'll continue to familiarise myself with the
format.

>From this example...

<License rdf:about="http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/2.0/";>
<permits rdf:resource="http://web.resource.org/cc/Reproduction"; />
<permits rdf:resource="http://web.resource.org/cc/Distribution"; />
<requires rdf:resource="http://web.resource.org/cc/Notice"; />
<requires rdf:resource="http://web.resource.org/cc/Attribution"; />
<prohibits rdf:resource="http://web.resource.org/cc/CommercialUse"; />
</License>

I would reference the software's license (likely proprietary) in the first
line and follow it by the characteristics.

PERMIT, REQUIRES and PROHIBIT are the three types of characteristics that CC
includes, and each can have specified values.

If I were to extend a vocabulary I would create additional characteristic
types and specify possible values for each? I'll give this some thought to
determine what works best. My initial thought is that I only need a
characteristic that will describe OPERATION, BEHAVIOR or FUNCTIONALITY of the
software.

Would adding additional values to the existing CC characteristics cause any
problems or concern?

Brian