cc-metadata - [cc-metadata] Ogg (was Re: non-web embedding revisited)

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: Mike Linksvayer <ml AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work <cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [cc-metadata] Ogg (was Re: non-web embedding revisited)
  • Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2005 14:41:42 -0800

On Fri, 2005-12-23 at 13:17 -0800, Mike Linksvayer wrote:
> The new recommendation would probably be to use two fields specifically
> intended to contain URLs and only URLs. For ID3v2, those might be
>
> WCOP (pointing to a license URL)
> Definition: http://www.id3.org/id3v2.3.0.html#WCOP
> Example value: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/
>
> WOAF (pointing to a web page describing a file, potentially including
> license information/metadata)
> Definition: http://www.id3.org/id3v2.3.0.html#WOAF
> Example value: http://example.com/a_song_sung_by_me.html
>
> Note that these map to current use of licenses and metadata on web pages
> -- the license notice points to a CC license URL, and describes the
> current page (the current page is its own "official page").
>
> Comments? Suggestions for implementation in other formats? I'm
> particularly interested in EXIF, MP4/QT and OGG at this point.

So http://www.xiph.org/vorbis/doc/v-comment.html defines "LICENSE",
which may contain a URL, but could contain anything, could be used as I
propose WCOP above.

IIRC some folks on the vorbis lists are extremely resistant to any
comments beyond those defined at the URL above, but it is easy to add
anything one wants.

So, does it make sense to [re]use LICENSE? Make up a new one, say WCOP
or WLIC? LICENSEURL?

There's nothing analogous to ID3v2's WOAF. Possibilities for comment
names: WOAF, WMETADATA, METADATAURL...

Comments? (about comments)

http://creativecommons.org/about/people#21