cc-metadata - [cc-metadata] Exif (was Re: non-web embedding revisited)

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: Mike Linksvayer <ml AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work <cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [cc-metadata] Exif (was Re: non-web embedding revisited)
  • Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2005 14:34:19 -0800

On Fri, 2005-12-23 at 13:17 -0800, Mike Linksvayer wrote:
> The new recommendation would probably be to use two fields specifically
> intended to contain URLs and only URLs. For ID3v2, those might be
>
> WCOP (pointing to a license URL)
> Definition: http://www.id3.org/id3v2.3.0.html#WCOP
> Example value: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/
>
> WOAF (pointing to a web page describing a file, potentially including
> license information/metadata)
> Definition: http://www.id3.org/id3v2.3.0.html#WOAF
> Example value: http://example.com/a_song_sung_by_me.html
>
> Note that these map to current use of licenses and metadata on web pages
> -- the license notice points to a CC license URL, and describes the
> current page (the current page is its own "official page").
>
> Comments? Suggestions for implementation in other formats? I'm
> particularly interested in EXIF, MP4/QT and OGG at this point.

Looking at http://www.exif.org/Exif2-2.PDF I don't see anything
particularly relevant. I understand that camera manufacturers define
"Exif extensions" all the time, but I can't find any good reference.
Anyone know of a guide to defining Exif extensions? Other suggestions?

http://creativecommons.org/about/people#21