cc-metadata - Re: [cc-metadata] non-web embedding revisited

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: Lucas Gonze <lgonze AT panix.com>
  • To: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work <cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: lucas AT gonze.com
  • Subject: Re: [cc-metadata] non-web embedding revisited
  • Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2005 12:39:24 -1000 (HST)

On Fri, 23 Dec 2005, Mike Linksvayer wrote:

On Fri, 2005-12-23 at 12:04 -1000, Lucas Gonze wrote:
I'd like to suggest an alternative (complementary, not exclusive) approach
-- embed a unique and canonical ID (preferably a URL) and do the license
hacking via web tools which annotate that ID. This moves as much
functionality as possible out of media file formats, which are an endless
nightmare, and allows third parties to to create lookup infrastructure in
a decentralized way.

That's the intention of the field "pointing to a web page describing
a file". I'd love to remove all other embedded metadata completely and
I'd be happy for people to ignore all other embedded metadata, but not
encouraging an embedded license hint unfortunately will not fly.

One modification to the job description, then -- say the field is pointing a web page which describes that work and only that work. That way people won't have the same URLs for multiple works.