cc-metadata - Re: BitTorrent

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: Mike Linksvayer <ml AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: Thomas Winningham <winningham AT gmail.com>, discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work <cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: BitTorrent
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 21:19:28 -0800

Thomas Winningham wrote:
http://writtorrent.sourceforge.net/2005/01/rfc-bittorrent-creative-commons.html
[...]
This needs to be hammered out a bit, as far as tags within tags, and
attributes. I have a shout out to the BitTorrent development group as
well.

Is your goal to support any "CC metadata" then you want to create a RDF serialization. I doubt you want to do that. Or a container for aribitrary RDF/XML in your XML document, and perhaps RDF/XML as a string in the bencoded version.

Much as I'd like to promote the use of RDF, any of the above sound fairly unnatural and painful -- unless you want to have the potential include complex metadata in the .torrent (xml or bencoded) file, e.g., describe each file in a multifile torrent, in which case RDF fits the bill (if you don't use RDF you'll just reinvent it).

Something flat, akin to http://dublincore.org/documents/dc-xml-guidelines/ would probably satisfy your requirements, though I'm not sure what those are. You can specify a license with cc:license = licenseURI. Those who want to know what permissions, etc. are associated with licenseURI can grab the RDF from that URI.

Sorry for rambling. Can you spell out your goals and some use cases?

http://creativecommons.org/about/people#21