cc-metadata - BitTorrent

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: Thomas Winningham <winningham AT gmail.com>
  • To: cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: BitTorrent
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 22:53:46 -0500

Hello all around!

Lucas Gonze was kind enough to point me to the list. I'm requesting
comments and feedback on adding Creative Commons metadata to
BitTorrent meta data files. Here's a page for it:

http://writtorrent.sourceforge.net/2005/01/rfc-bittorrent-creative-commons.html

Note that there is an XML-based .torrent format created by the
developers of Azureus, and adding the appropriate metadata would be as
easily as including the CC namespace.

For the BitTorrent protocol's "bencoded" format, I proposed simply
using the main dc: and cc: prefixed tags as parts of the metadata
file's dictionary. This is a simple format where the keys and values
are prefixed with their length, seperated by a colon.

This needs to be hammered out a bit, as far as tags within tags, and
attributes. I have a shout out to the BitTorrent development group as
well.

Would welcome all comments or complaints.

Thanks,

Thomas