cc-metadata - Re: query re content not covered by cc license

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: Mike Linksvayer <ml AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work <cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: query re content not covered by cc license
  • Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2004 20:53:27 -0700

Marc A. Garrett wrote:
If you look at the bottom of the page, I've made a human-friendly acknowledgement that I don't own the images in the article.

That looks good to me.

But if you look at the source code, the images aren't mentioned in the Creative Commons license. I'm not sure how I'd handle the suggestion of "<dc:rights>(c) 2004 Bob Cook</dc:rights>," because my templating system inserts the same license on all site pages.

A very common situation, and a key reason the metadata we hand out makes a statement about the current resource -- you can put it in a template and it is valid for any page that uses the template, no munging needed.

I think it is ok to leave the exceptions out of your metadata. The metadata isn't supposed to be exact -- it isn't intended for driving DRM. It helps with discovery, but a user has to look and see exactly what work is being offered, there being so many ways to slice a "work."