cc-metadata - Re: query re content not covered by cc license

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: Mike Linksvayer <ml AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: query re content not covered by cc license
  • Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2004 17:24:45 -0700

James Grimmelmann wrote:
At 02:55 AM 8/5/2004, Marc A. Garrett wrote:
Also, it would be neat if I could tag an item as outside the scope of my
license; that way either a computer or human reading my site would know
how to respond.

This issue is more relevant to the metadata list, so I'm cc'ing this thread over there. It is an important idea and a relevant issue.

The default metadata we hand out indicates the current resource (i.e., the content of the current web page) is licensed. Example:

<Work rdf:about="">
<license rdf:resource="http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/"/>
</Work>

This is a little bit fuzzy in cases where you have multiple "works" in a single page. You can help search engines by adding hints about what sort of media the work is:

<Work rdf:about="">
<license rdf:resource="http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/"/>
<dc:type rdf:resource="http://purl.org/dc/dcmitype/Text"; />
</Work>

If you want to explicitly denote the rights assciated with individual images you could include statements about each:

<Work rdf:about="">
<license rdf:resource="http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/"/>
<dc:type rdf:resource="http://purl.org/dc/dcmitype/Text"; />
</Work>
<Work rdf:about="http://example.com/foo.jpg";>
<license rdf:resource="http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/2.0/"/>
<dc:type rdf:resource="http://purl.org/dc/dcmitype/StillImage"; />
</Work>

If foo.jpg isn't under a CC license at all, the best I can think of right now is to include a dc:rights statement:

<Work rdf:about="http://example.com/foo.jpg";>
<dc:rights>(c) 2004 Bob Cook</dc:rights>
<dc:type rdf:resource="http://purl.org/dc/dcmitype/StillImage"; />
</Work>

I've occasionally thought it might be useful to publish CC-style metadata for the "all rights reserved" default copyright, and encourage people using default copyright to link to that visibly and/or as the object in a cc:license statement:

<Work rdf:about="http://example.com/foo.jpg";>
<cc:license rdf:resource="http://allrightsreserved.org/mineminemine"/>
<dc:type rdf:resource="http://purl.org/dc/dcmitype/StillImage"; />
</Work>

Or something like that. I know that Lucas Gonze has some similar/related ideas.