cc-metadata - Re: query re content not covered by cc license

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: James Grimmelmann <james.grimmelmann AT yale.edu>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>, cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: query re content not covered by cc license
  • Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2004 13:51:05 -0700

At 02:55 AM 8/5/2004, Marc A. Garrett wrote:

Does creativecommons.org have suggested language to use when an image on
my site falls outside the scope of my cc license?

I don't believe that CC has any official suggestions on the matter.

Speaking entirely personally (and not as a lawyer), I would think that something quite simple should work.

"This copyright on this picture is held by X. The Creative Commons license that covers other content on this site does not apply to it."

Example: when I post an interview, I sometimes get the permission of the
interview subject to post pictures to accompany the interview --
pictures to which they, not me, hold copyright. I want to make it clear
to my users which objects on the site are not owned by me and not
covered by the share-alike license.

Also, it would be neat if I could tag an item as outside the scope of my
license; that way either a computer or human reading my site would know
how to respond.

This issue is more relevant to the metadata list, so I'm cc'ing this thread over there. It is an important idea and a relevant issue.

James