cc-metadata - Re: License revisions

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: Mike Linksvayer <ml AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: cc-metadata <cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: License revisions
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 14:19:14 -0800

Evan Prodromou wrote:
ML> I'm not planning on new resource URLs for license
ML> characteristics. The characteristics expressed in metadata
ML> are not intended to be fine-grained, rather serving as a rough
ML> guide to the permissions, prohibitions, and requirements
ML> associated with a license.

Ah. So, like, the connotation of the rights is kind of governed by the
context of the license URL, I guess, eh? Neato.

Yes.

For example, if I had a music-editing program, and I had two pieces of
source music -- one under sa-nc (say), and one under by-sa -- it could
use the metadata to see if a remix of the two pieces would be possible
(no, if either piece is licensed at 1.0 level), and what license such
a remix would have to be under (by-nc-sa, AFAICT).

I think the program could use the metadata to tell you what might be possible. It would need to have more knowledge about the quirks of invidual licenses to say exactly how they may be combined legally, e.g., ShareAlike in CC 1.0, CC 2.0, and <http://creativecommons.org/licenses/GPL/2.0/>, the last being CC packaging for GNU GPL.

I just wanted to give a heads-up. It's a good idea to be ready for
change!

Indeed, I appreciate it. Every issue you're brought up here and on cc-licenses regarding versioning is insightful. Most of 'em we've already torn our hair out over. Thanks for the validation. :-( :-)