cc-metadata - Re: License revisions

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: Evan Prodromou <evan AT wikitravel.org>
  • To: Mike Linksvayer <ml AT creativecommons.org>
  • Cc: cc-metadata <cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: License revisions
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 16:57:41 -0500

ML> The new licenses will have new URLs, e.g.,
ML> http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

ML> I'm not planning on new resource URLs for license
ML> characteristics. The characteristics expressed in metadata
ML> are not intended to be fine-grained, rather serving as a rough
ML> guide to the permissions, prohibitions, and requirements
ML> associated with a license.

Ah. So, like, the connotation of the rights is kind of governed by the
context of the license URL, I guess, eh? Neato.

For example, if I had a music-editing program, and I had two pieces of
source music -- one under sa-nc (say), and one under by-sa -- it could
use the metadata to see if a remix of the two pieces would be possible
(no, if either piece is licensed at 1.0 level), and what license such
a remix would have to be under (by-nc-sa, AFAICT).

I just wanted to give a heads-up. It's a good idea to be ready for
change!

~ESP

--
Evan Prodromou <evan AT wikitravel.org>