cc-metadata - Re: allowing XML rather than RDF

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: Lucas Gonze <lgonze AT panix.com>
  • To: Mike Linksvayer <ml AT creativecommons.org>
  • Cc: cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: allowing XML rather than RDF
  • Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2003 17:21:30 -0500

On Sunday, Dec 7, 2003, at 17:02 America/New_York, Mike Linksvayer wrote:

If I understand correctly, you want people to use the existing RDF/XML format, but help them to think of it as plain XML. That's fine -- it is XML after all, and more adoption is better.

http://web.resource.org/cc/ is just a namespace in XML. The schema that happens to be available from that URI is a RDF schema. I can't think of a great way to remove references to RDF from that document and keep it accurate (not to mention that there are people who like RDF).

Would it help to have a completely separate page that explains how to use CC metadata in XML with no explicit mention of RDF?

Exactly what I was thinking of. The question is how to do this with the least amount of work.

Since a namespace definition isn't intended to be machine-readable, my thought was that you could just modify the text at
http://web.resource.org/cc/ to say something like "the CC namespace is XML. An RDF schema to describe it as at ...", which would show that the namespace doesn't require usage to be in the context of RDF.

But that bumps up against the limitations on what I know about RDF. It might just be wishful thinking.