cc-metadata - Re: allowing XML rather than RDF

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: Mike Linksvayer <ml AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: allowing XML rather than RDF
  • Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2003 14:02:26 -0800

Lucas Gonze wrote:
I'd like to be able to use the CC schema at http://web.resource.org/cc/ in non-RDF XML. This is because the schema should be useful to people who, right or wrong, aren't willing to pay the RDF tax. A lot of people will not use RDF at this point, and there's no technical reason why that should prevent them from using the CC schema.

Obviously I can just go ahead and do that, but there is one small adjustment that would be nice. The namespace definition/description at http://web.resource.org/cc/ says "The CC schema lets you describe copyright licenses in RDF". If this said "The CC schema lets you describe copyright licenses in XML", it would be easier to sell people on using CC.

If I understand correctly, you want people to use the existing RDF/XML format, but help them to think of it as plain XML. That's fine -- it is XML after all, and more adoption is better.

http://web.resource.org/cc/ is just a namespace in XML. The schema that happens to be available from that URI is a RDF schema. I can't think of a great way to remove references to RDF from that document and keep it accurate (not to mention that there are people who like RDF).

Would it help to have a completely separate page that explains how to use CC metadata in XML with no explicit mention of RDF?