cc-metadata - Re: Will Streaming Media Stick Around?

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: tom poe <tompoe AT amihost.com>
  • To: Mike Linksvayer <ml AT creativecommons.org>
  • Cc: cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Will Streaming Media Stick Around?
  • Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 05:31:20 -0000

Hi, Mike: Well, just in time. Can you think faster? :)

SONG STORM is now putting its site in order for launch in January of
2004. We have test pages started at:
http://www.ibiblio.org/studioforrecording/php/testhomeplaylist.php

We'll be focused narrowly on playlists, artists, and stations. We want
the visitor to discover playlists, artists and stations that play music
they like. We want DJ's to discover playlists, artists and get "demos"
for their stations. We want artists to have listeners visit their web
sites. That's about it. We don't intend to go further. Since our big
thing is Creative Commons licensing, we want everyone to add a creative
commons license to all songs on the site. We've not pinned ourselves to
a hard and fast rule on how that happens.

If you are mulling over the advantages and disadvantages of how the
technology plays with playlists, we'll certainly be interested. We
can't think of anything better than having DJ's be able to use the
Internet to discover material for their station. If our site can
incorporate some of your ideas, we'd like to do that.

One feature we're weighing, is to work with artists to encourage them to
make as many playlists as they can, and post to the Internet. Playlists
from artists that are of different genres, moods, mix of artists from
their past, playlists of artists that have influenced a particular song,
a particular CD, etc. It's a cottage industry unto its own, and
excellent marketing tool.
Thanks,
Tom Poe
Open Studios