cc-metadata - Re: CC LicenseLib - a .NET library for Creative Commons

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: admin AT delegatetechnologies.com
  • To: cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: CC LicenseLib - a .NET library for Creative Commons
  • Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 11:40:49 -0800 (PST)

Hi Mike. Thanks for your feedback. Here is a few replys to your comments
and I always welcome more:

> Mike Linksvayer wrote:
> I just glanced at the source. It looks like you provide read and write
> methods for a format like
>
> <CCLicense Name="Attribution" ... NonCommercial="false"></CCLicense>
>
> I urge you to just use RDF/XML for serializing the licenses in XML (the
> one exception may be an expression of the licenses using a different
> rights vocabulary for integration with a system that knows e.g., ODRL).
> The RDF/XML serialization _is_ XML and may be embedded in any XML
> document.

Yes, you are correct, that is the format that I had originally put in
for the write method of the XML. I was looking ahead to a project I am
thinking about writing and thought it would be the easiest way to write
and read license information from XML files, but after thinking about it a
bit more, I agree, I think using the RDF/XML format will be better because
it will allow for more flexibility to the structure (i.e. bunch of
attributes for a single node could get messy if there was a lot of
information). I will start working on the changes in the XML read and
write methods for an updated version of the library. I can probably use
the existing GetRDF() function to take care of most of the write
functionality. Any additional thoughts on this?

> Just one other quick comment -- I see that you've got
>
> .m_uri = "http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/1.0/";
> .m_logo_uri = "http://creativecommons.org/images/public/somerights.gif";
> .m_logo_link = "http://creativecommons.org/learn/licenses/";
>
> The somerights/norights logos generally ought to link to a license
> deed/PD dedication. I'd suggest eliminating the m_logo_link property,
> as m_uri already has the correct link.

Point noted. I'll update the classes accordingly. Again, thanks for the
feedback.

Highest Regards,

Steve Griffin
admin AT delegatetechnologies.com
http://www.delegatetechnologies.com

  • Re: CC LicenseLib - a .NET library for Creative Commons, admin, 10/28/2003