cc-metadata - Re: Will Streaming Media Stick Around?

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: Mike Linksvayer <ml AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Will Streaming Media Stick Around?
  • Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 20:41:09 -0800

tom poe wrote:
When I hear the term streaming, I tend to think webcaster industry. Probably not a good understanding of the term on my part, but that makes
me think there's a very important role for streaming in the future.

I'm talking about streaming as an implementation technology vs. downloading. Radio-like user experience/webcasting certainly has a bright future on the net.

Webcasters that pick up on the power of the CC license, and the ability
to identify works to play on their stations, can then set up a tool to
gather artist url's and contact info. Then, all they need is the dj
button to request demos from artists they like.

Semantic Radio.

The SONG STORM site is a web site that approaches this scenario,
although it does not intend to offer streaming, but rather leaves that
to the stations. I think there will be many, if not thousands of
similar sites. The era of CC licenses is just now beginning. And,
unless I'm mistaken, streaming is an important usage area for CC
licenses.

You're not mistaken -- webcasting is an area where CC licensing can really help. In terms of implementation technology though, the revolution will be downloaded, not streamed.

Another phenomenon that may give webcasting a boost is individuals publishing their own playlists, which serve as radio shows. In the last few days we started thinking about how bottom-up playlist publishing and CC licensing can work together. :)