cc-metadata - Re: Will Streaming Media Stick Around?

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: tom poe <tompoe AT amihost.com>
  • To: Mike Linksvayer <ml AT creativecommons.org>
  • Cc: cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Will Streaming Media Stick Around?
  • Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 03:46:01 -0000

When I hear the term streaming, I tend to think webcaster industry.
Probably not a good understanding of the term on my part, but that makes
me think there's a very important role for streaming in the future.

Webcasters that pick up on the power of the CC license, and the ability
to identify works to play on their stations, can then set up a tool to
gather artist url's and contact info. Then, all they need is the dj
button to request demos from artists they like.

The SONG STORM site is a web site that approaches this scenario,
although it does not intend to offer streaming, but rather leaves that
to the stations. I think there will be many, if not thousands of
similar sites. The era of CC licenses is just now beginning. And,
unless I'm mistaken, streaming is an important usage area for CC
licenses.
Just a thought,
Tom Poe
Open Studios