cc-metadata - definitive answer on dc:creator as a string

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: Aaron Swartz <me AT aaronsw.com>
  • To: Ben Hammersley <ben AT benhammersley.com>
  • Cc: metadata AT creativecommons.org, lisarein AT finetuning.com
  • Subject: definitive answer on dc:creator as a string
  • Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2002 18:05:30 -0600

Ben Hammersley wrote:
So, I can use <dc:creator> as a string without the CCL being invalidated...

YES!

So the only debate is the wider RDF one of whether <dc:creator> can be a string at all, ever, in any arena. Which is a much wider thing altogether - and should really be taken to the Dublin Core and RDF working groups, and off this list?

The relevant spec here is Proposed Recommendation http://dublincore.org/documents/2002/04/14/dcq-rdf-xml/ which explains that it can be used in the simple way (with a string; see example 1.1) and the more complicated way (with a resource; see example 3.1.1)

For further questions about the DC spec, you should ask the DC WG (I think dc-architecture is the appropriate one here).
--
Aaron Swartz [http://www.aaronsw.com]