cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Commercial Rights Reserved

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Gregory Maxwell <gmaxwell AT gmail.com>
  • To: Development of Creative Commons licenses <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Commercial Rights Reserved
  • Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2012 11:07:55 -0500

On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 10:17 AM, Alex Gakuru <gakuru AT gmail.com> wrote:
> Greetings,
> I am concerned by the plausible effect of “Commercial Rights Reserved“
> potential of sending legacy copyright‘s chilling effect?
> Borne of the need to protect the otherwise ‘grey‘ innovation space enjoyed
> under the current licences categorizations.

I do not understand what you are saying here even if I temporarily
accept the premise that it is ethical to intentionally write vague
licenses with for the purpose of fostering misunderstandings and make
their user's intentions unenforceable.

Can you specifically enumerate an example sequence of events which
using "commercial rights reserved" instead of "non commercial" may
result in an unwelcome outcome due to a reduction in "grey innovation
space"?