cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] cc-by-sa and gpl

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Evan Prodromou <evan AT prodromou.name>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] cc-by-sa and gpl
  • Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2007 14:55:16 -0400

On Mon, 2007-02-07 at 20:11 +0200, Paul Keller wrote:

> hmm. there is no point in interoperability (as in being able to
> relicense something that was originally under one of the licenses
> under the other): the GPL is intended for software, the CC licenses
> are for works under copyright that are *not* software.

I think one of the common use cases is for copying example code to and
from text or hypertext documentation.

Another is copying sound, images, and video into games or other richly
interactive programs.

As program interfaces become richer and as "content" becomes smarter,
the distinction between what's a program and what's not is getting
harder to make.

-Evan

--
Evan Prodromou - evan AT prodromou.name - http://evan.prodromou.name/