cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] ¿Dual licensing a bad idea?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Prodromos Tsiavos" <p.tsiavos AT lse.ac.uk>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] ¿Dual licensing a bad idea?
  • Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2007 17:06:14 +0300

Just to add to Rob's point, I think there is also a practical compatibility problem when you dual license a work. Consider the following scenario:

A is a dually licensed (under GPL/ CC_BY_SA) work which is then mixed with work B (which is only CC_BY_SA licensed).

Work AB that will come as a result of such mixing is now miscible ONLY with CC_BY_SA works and cannot be dual licensed since it originates from B (which is a CC_BY_SA only licensed work), unless B's licensor agrees to such new form of licensing making B dual licensed as well.

I think Evan has commented on this issue quite extensively on this list in the past.

thnx
pRo

----- Original Message ----- From: "Rob Myers" <rob AT robmyers.org>