cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Need clarification: What is "commercial"?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Lucas Gonze" <lucas.gonze AT gmail.com>
  • To: jake AT countersinkdg.com, "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Need clarification: What is "commercial"?
  • Date: Fri, 4 May 2007 23:45:48 -0700

On 5/3/07, Jake McKee <jake AT countersinkdg.com> wrote:
Someone mentioned that if I have to ask, it's commercial. I guess maybe
that's true, but I'd find massive problems with a line of thinking that
says anything "commercial" being treated equal.

The thing is that nobody really knows what commercial means, so using
this license is barely more permissive than All Rights Reserved. With
an NC license a user is probably safe doing anything which is plainly
fair use, such as making a copy for your grandmother, and anything
else is back to the same old game of wondering whether the rights
holders will exercise their discretion and sue.