cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Need clarification: What is "commercial"?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Audun Bergwitz" <bergwitz AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Need clarification: What is "commercial"?
  • Date: Thu, 3 May 2007 11:08:32 +0200

On 5/3/07, Greg London <email AT greglondon.com> wrote:
The idea that money is evil.

Some folks use NC because they want to release their
works under a NC license and they don't want their
work to get "dirtied" by money, or they don't want
"the man" to get their work and make money off of it.
There is no money that is "good" money, so it's all
forbidden.

Seems to me that this problem has to solved on a case-by-case basis, which means that a strict interpretation of NC is the best option, and then the copyright holder could give case-by-case permissions to "good money". Which is regular practice anyway, at least in my experience.

IMO I think Non-Profits should be excluded too, as there are a lot of Non-Profits that I'd rather not support, and quite many that operate as commercial entitites. IMO if they are willing to pay people to collect money (trough telemarketing etc) I don't see why they shouldn't pay artists for their work. If they want to use my work for free, it should be up to me whether I support them or not. In economical terms, I could possibly get a tax exemption for giving my work to a Non-Profit, but with NC I'd loose that.

audun mb