cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Need clarification: What is "commercial"?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Need clarification: What is "commercial"?
  • Date: Wed, 2 May 2007 20:27:25 -0400

On Wednesday 02 May 2007 06:55 pm, Kevin Phillips (home) wrote:
> Hey Jake,

snip

> So alternatively I can license a song under BY or BY-SA and earn nothing
> (compulsory licenses are waivered), yet other musicians can freely adapt or
> use my song, go on to resell their spin-offs or remixes without so much as
> a $1 tip for me.

One thing with BY-SAas opposed to a bare BY, you could also turn around and
freely resell their adaptation or your adaptation of their adaptation or your
remix of their remix or adaptation without so much as a $1 tip for them.

I can see the big guys taking advantage of BY-SA and reselling your original
work. I would be very interested and surprised to see the big players taking
advantage of BY-SA to make and sell covers.

I would think they would use the compulsary/statutory? license instead and
pay
you your money.

Does anyone see them going the other way?

snip

> Kev

(da idea man)