cc-licenses - [cc-licenses] Need clarification: What is "commercial"?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Jake McKee <jake AT countersinkdg.com>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [cc-licenses] Need clarification: What is "commercial"?
  • Date: Wed, 02 May 2007 15:27:07 -0500

I'm trying to better understand the noncommercial attribution - namely, what is "commercial" usage?

Clearly reselling someone's work is "commercial", no questions there. But what about usage in commercial activity that isn't commerce? For instance:

- Using an image in a powerpoint slide for your business venture (or heck, even a non-profit)
- Using an image on a web site for your business or organization

Maybe I'm just not well versed enough in the legalities, but to me, that's a big huge part of the point of CC - making it easy enough that I don't have to be a lawyer to understand. :)

Anyway, please let me know if I'm missing something obvious.

Thanks!
Jake

PS: Sorry if this has been asked and answered - I had a hard time finding a search function for the archives.