cc-licenses - [cc-licenses] current metadata specs?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Lucas Gonze" <lucas.gonze AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [cc-licenses] current metadata specs?
  • Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2007 14:03:35 -0700

I am really frustrated by the labor involved in CC licensing for my
own music. It's not clear what I am supposed to do, and the tools are
just a bummer to make work. EG cli-tools doesn't do Ogg.

AFAIK this is the best current documentation --
MP3: http://wiki.creativecommons.org/MP3
Ogg: http://wiki.creativecommons.org/OGG
FLAC: no spec exists

But is it possible that things have changed to the extent that I can
live without any embedded metadata at all, per
http://wiki.creativecommons.org/Nonweb_Tagging?

The style defined at http://wiki.creativecommons.org/RDFa looks
radically more convenient than embedded metadata:
What about bar.jpg which is displayed in http://example.com/foo via a
&tl;img src="/bar.jpg"> element?

To specify that bar.jpg is licensed, even under a different license,
we can qualify the link with an about attribute:

<a about="/bar.jpg" rel="license"
href="http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/2.5/";>cc</a>

I would then do the entire licensing process for
http://example.com/foo.flacby publishing this statement:
<a about="http://example.com/foo.flac"; rel="license"
href="http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/2.5/";>cc</a>

Is there anything else I need to do aside from that?