cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] current metadata specs?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Lucas Gonze" <lucas.gonze AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] current metadata specs?
  • Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2007 17:09:35 -0700

On 4/21/07, Eric Garner <ejgarner AT yahoo.com> wrote:
As for the *HOW*, your audio production software
should have something built right in to handle the
embedding of metadata

Sure, Audacity lets me manually set up ID3 tags for MP3 export, which
is how I've been dealing with licensing, but that's exactly the
painfully inefficient process that I'm frustrated with.

Posting a new CC tune involves way too many steps --
- Dig out the documentation on how to do licensing. (This email
thread, for example).
- Manually enter ID3 tags for MP3 export in Audacity.
- Give up on getting the same thing done for Vorbis and FLAC, because
Audacity doesn't seem to allow me to do that.
- Upload each version of the file.
- Modify blog HTML to include an embedded player.
- Write some sort of license statement for the blog page.

This can be a *lot* easier. Really. All I should have to do is
upload a single high-fi file, then let a web site handle the tagging,
license generation, hosting, metadata , and creation of different
flavors of audio file.

The video makers market right now is oversaturated with handy
software, and podcasters have pretty good tools as well as long as
they stick to the standard formula, but CC musicians don't get a lot
of love. This stuff has a long way to go.

Given how much trouble it is to get it right, I doubt it is done right
very often except when using a centralized web site like CC Mixter.
Just finding the documentation on how to embed license metadata is a
non-starter for the vast majority of musicians.